Monday, May 27, 2013

My Inexperience


I wanted to share one source of my anxiety. I long for stability. Having a job that will promise me 10+ years of a steady paycheck doing what I love to do. But my generation has it rough. It is devastating that the economy has caused so many good hardworking people to lose their jobs. Now those jobless people are desperate for a job, and their experience speaks for itself. That makes someone who has recently graduated from college look like a weaker candidate for the same job. The competition is tough, and we who have no experience yet are at a disadvantage. Those people who are older and more experienced are more qualified for the job and the company hiring doesn't have to train them. I guess with families depending on those people to get a job, and after all the work those people have already put in, I guess you would say that they deserve that job more. 

However, where does that leave the future generation? I can't tell you how many times I have applied for a job and I have been turned down saying "you are a great person and have a great GPA, but you don't have enough experience doing A, B, and C, and candidate 2 does." 

How am I supposed to get any experience doing anything if no employer will give me a chance to gain that experience? They say I need more experience but they don't want to waste their time training me. If the older generation doesn't invest in the future generation, then how are we ever going to take their place in the work world when they want to retire? 

Research has said that more 20 something people are being diagnosed with anxiety and depression than ever before, and I think the working world is to blame for it. Our educational system pushes us to take test after test, to get good grades and push our way to the top, then we go to college and push our way to the top of our graduating class, then we graduate and we have to fight to get a job, and then once we actually get a job, we have to fight to keep it and are constantly worrying about paying off loans, and whether we will be able to keep our job in order to start our lives. When does the fighting end? When can we finally rest? The rest isn't here yet, so I will continue to fight and to worry...


No comments:

Post a Comment