I am here to address a misconception floating around in our
society. I can’t tell you how many people I have met which say that depression
and anxiety isn’t a real disease. They believe that it is all in your mind and
if you have strong enough willpower that you can push it out of your mind. The
people who can’t “shake” depression and anxiety on their own are seen as weak,
lazy or drama queens. To take medications for either of these problems is like
admitting to the world that you can’t handle the pressures of your own life. I
have even had doctors tell me that they never prescribe medications that “mess
with your head” because it isn’t “natural”.
There are many people out there who are too embarrassed to go to a
doctor and admit that they have a problem in fear of being perceived as weak.
My name is Jessie and I have both anxiety and depression.
They are ailments that I have struggled with for many years now, and I will
probably continue to have struggle with this for the rest of my life. Now I
don’t want you to feel bad for me, I would consider myself to be very lucky in
life. I grew up in a loving Christian family, have many great friends, and am
now married to the love of my life. With a background like that many people say
“Your life sounds pretty great! Why would YOU struggle with depression?” Because
depression/anxiety is not selective; they can go after anyone and at any time
in their life.
Now I seem to have the cards stacked against me, because
depression/anxiety runs in my family. Just like there are those that are more
prone to contracting heart disease, or breast cancer or diabetes, mental
disorders can be passed down through generations. I believe that my
anxiety/depression is chemical imbalance in my brain, a grand cocktail of
hormones and chemical receptors all churning together to create utter chaos
when the time is right. Which is why I am an avid proponent of using
medications to help keep the chemical cocktail party at bay so I can live my
life normally.
I am hoping to use this blog to help enlighten those who
don’t fully understand anxiety and depression and to gossip about my own life.
I hope I can others also who are struggling with the same mental ailments and
create a community in order to support one another.
"When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul" Psalm 94:19
No comments:
Post a Comment